"For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling; I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living." Psalm 116:8&9



Sunday, September 5, 2010

6 Months

6 months
or
26 weeks
or 
184 days...

Today is the 6 month anniversary of my husband's passing. It feels surreal. On one hand, it feels like he was just here, like it's only been a few days. On the other hand, it feels like it has been years, almost like him being here was just a dream.  

In the last 6 months, our daughter turned one. She said her first word ("daddy"), then decided she wouldn't speak again for almost 2 months, then slowly began to speak again. She took her first steps. She got her first busted lip. Our son took swimming lessons for the first time. He started playing soccer. He has learned his letters and is (trying) to learn to write. He took his first trip to the emergency room. He stopped wearing diapers. He learned about the finality of death. The kids played in the ocean for the first time. I've learned how to run our home alone. (Well, for the most part. I still refuse to mow the lawn. Our neighbors may hate me. They can get over it.)

All of these things were supposed to happen with Barry here. Some of these things were heartbreaking to do alone. Some of these things were confusing and comical to do alone. (Side note: Single moms + potty-training little boys = crazy, funny, horrifying moments!) God chose a different plan for our family and we are learning to trust Him and praise Him in the difficult moments.  

We sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness" at church this morning. It was so fitting and exactly what I needed to be reminded of. God has been faithful since the beginning of time. He has been faithful since the day I was born. And He has been faithful for the last 6 months/26 weeks/184 days. He will continue to be faithful - no matter what else may come.

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father; 
There is no shadow of turning with Thee; 
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not; 
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be. 

Great is Thy faithfulness! 
Great is Thy faithfulness! 
Morning by morning new mercies I see. 
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided; 
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me! 

1 comment:

The Schmidt Family said...

Love you friend. By your side always.