"For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling; I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living." Psalm 116:8&9



Saturday, May 29, 2010

Helpful Books on Grief and Suffering

Since losing Barry, reading has become a big part of how I spend my time.  I always loved to read, but it usually got trumped by other things - namely, spending time with my husband.  Now, it has not only become a way to fill lonely, dark hours of the night, but a way to fight sin and depression, to keep me focused on truth and not emotion, to process my grief and feelings, and to help me navigate this new journey I'm on.  The following are a list of books that I have found to be helpful during the last 3 months.

Passages of Scripture:
(While the words of men can be inspiring and helpful, nothing will ever hold more truth, bring more healing or show me God the way Scripture does)
Genesis 37-50 The story of Joseph
Ruth
1 & 2 Samuel The Life of David
Psalm 30, 34, 40, 116, 121, 146, 147
Job
Romans 5, 8
1 Peter (specifically 1:1-12, 3:8-22, 4:12-19)
Revelation 21:1-8

Books:
Suffering and the Sovereignty of God by John Piper and Justin Taylor
A Sweet and Bitter Providence by John Piper
Holding on to Hope by Nancy Guthrie
A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis
Let Me Grieve but not Forever by Verdell Davis
Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor


1 comment:

The Causey's said...

i am going to read a few of these, thanks friend